Sunday, January 8, 2012

Groceries and Meal Planning

I took a peek at the scale and I am right on track for a loss this week!  I just need to keep on course.  Easier said than done.

I went grocery shopping today and got lots of fresh veggies from the produce department - red seedless grapes, baby spinach, broccoli, zucchini, eggplant, potatoes, onions and a head of cabbage!  The cabbage is going to be one of the new vegetables.  I have had cabbage before, but it was kimchi.  Kimchi is basically a Korean staple of fermented spicy cabbage.  I have had kimchi turnips, cucumbers, green beans, etc.


(picture by closetcooking.com)

Since this is the only way I have really ever had cabbage, I am planning to cook one for the first time.  I am pretty excited about it!  Not sure what the best way of cooking it is, but I am sure there are some recipes I can look at.

Let's see, I also bought some tilapia, which is what we are having for dinner.  Did you know that 8 whole ounces of tilapia is only 4 measly WW points?  I couldn't believe it!  We are also having rice and roasted asparagus to go with it.  Yumm!

Some other things I bought for meal planning this week were boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs, ground sirloin, ground turkey, lean boneless center cut pork chops, a new bread (Nature's Own Honey Grain which is only 2 points vs. the 3 point Earth Grains), and a few frozen items - mango sorbet and peach sorbet.

Tomorrow is going to be a really busy day, so I have decided to pack a lunch and snacks.  I will be driving on the road during lunch time, so instead of a drive-thru window, it's going to be a sandwich and some grapes.  I haven't decided on dinner yet.  I could make some spaghetti made with ground turkey or we could have the chops.  I haven't made up my mind yet.  I will look thru the Food Network before bed to see if anything inspires me.

Curious.... how do you plan out your meals?  I could use some ideas.

Hope you all had a great weekend!  See you in Monday!

6 comments:

  1. I always make big weekend meals (ie: huge portion of Sheppard's Pie, roast etc.) that way I have leftovers for the week and I don't have to think too much about meals since I eat differently then my husband and son right now. I love cabbage just sauteed in olive oil with salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I add a sliced onion if I'm feeling particularly saucy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kimchi! I make sure i have a jar of it in my closet at all times. Somedays i'm just in the mood for some good ol kimchi fried rice. mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked up some good stuff! I tend to plan just a few days because a whole week feels kind of daunting to me. On those days I just make big portions so I can have leftovers for dinner or lunches the next day.

    ~Christina
    www.loserlike-me.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like cabbage a lot but don't have many recipes. I've made cabbage rolls a couple of times and thought they were good but a lot of trouble. This past week two people posted a cabbage roll casserole recipe that I want to try. It's basically all the ingredients of the cabbage roll put into a casserole. Sounds good to me.

    I especially like corned beef and cabbage but only have it once or twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband works in Korea and detests kimchi! I think it's really funny how something some people enjoy can be absolutely hated by others :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is a gift.